Why do people post their models here?

(Mitteilungsbedarf) #1

Is it bragging? Is it hoping to be discovered by a big studio?

(Shaderbytes) #2

It is art , and artists like to share their artworks, nothing new here , it has been like that since the dawn of time. Just like musicians don't just write and play songs for themselves either :slight_smile:

You could slap on several other motives on top of that if you like but in general it is simply human nature as mentioned above.

(Mitteilungsbedarf) #3

But why do they want to share their artworks? What do they get out of it?

(Shaderbytes) #4

you are now asking why are humans - human?

Why do you talk to people?
Why do you have friends?

It is about communication. We communicate simply because we are not alone. We exist in community.
There are deeper emotional aspect to that ,We value what others think about us, we like to be loved and appreciated, we yearn for a sense of belonging. These things result in a sense of achievement and purpose.

What answer were you looking for other than this?

(Geoffreymarchal) #5

I agree with ShaderBytes, people share to communicate which each other. This is just Human. It is like asking why people publish a blog, a book, an article, or even a tweet.
Sharing it is a way to communicate and thus to get noticed or just to get some feedback on their work.
In my case it is about sharing cultural heritage to the people not lucky enough to live close by a museum.

(Ivanix88) #6

For me, the question would be "Why wouldn't people post their models here?" Is there even a reason to not do so? As they said, we are humans, we like to interact with others. Some might be looking for feedback, some might just want to show their creations to the world, and other might want to upload to create a portfolio and find a job.

No matter how I look at the question, I find it weird.

(Mitteilungsbedarf) #7

What answer were you looking for other than this?

1. Bragging
  2. Hoping to be discovered by a big studio.
  3. Trying to find meaning in creating virtual worlds.
  4. Yearning for validation
  5. Getting feedback
  6. ...

All of you were vague. Yes, this is communication, but communication is subdivided again. I want this to be specific.

Why wouldn't people post their models here?

1. Their model could be ripped from the site
  2. The idea could be stolen and used in some other commercial surrounding
  3. The model could be perceived as bad and the bad reputation could stick to the author.
  4. The idea could be perceived as bad and the bad reputation could stick to the author.

(Egiptologo91) #8

I love photogrammetry as a hobby, and sketchfab give me the perfect platform to show my creations to the rest of the world.

It's simple.

(Shaderbytes) #9

You asked a vague question to begin with. Based on that I answered with the best possible answer that forms the basis of any vague specifics.

You dont refuse to participate in life because of all the things that could go wrong, you live your life because of all the things that could go right.

You could have a muscle spasm while swimming and drown, does this mean that you never go swimming?
You could be in a car accident and die while driving your car, does this mean you never drive a car?

Going forward please keep things positive and realistic.

(Mitteilungsbedarf) #10

This is not how we are going to talk to each other. Rephrase your reply or we won't have a discussion.

(Shaderbytes) #11

my answer remains as is. I'm happy to leave the discussion.

EDIT: to promote a diplomatic environment I did edit my answer for you and for others. I apologize for any offence. Regardless, I think I have said all I need to say regarding the matter.

cheers mate.

(Mitteilungsbedarf) #12

How would you phrase it?

That was referring to Ivanix88, who asked the question "Why wouldn't people post their models here?". I gave him some reasons, why people wouldn't. Besides, where are you going with this?

Great! This makes this thread much better!

(Distance880) #13

I use my Sketchfab account mostly as a portfolio and a work space. I try to give a lot of free content away that I've designed for students and indie developers. Sketchfab allows users to offer downloads.

It's a useful work space because I can prototype something for a client and upload it to Sketchfab as a private model that they can view at their leisure. Sketchfab has integrated with so many platforms that you can upload directly from Blender, or Substance Painter.

It's more than just a place to "show off", it's a fully integrated work space and tool.

(Animaatn) #14

Why do people post their videos on Youtube?
Why do sharing communities exist?
Why does the internet exist?
Is it all just to impress women? :heart_eyes:

(Splicer) #15

Can't speak for everyone else, but I like to show off my models the way I made them to be displayed. Real time 3D rendered, and viewed from all angles, a still image does not do justice to the 3D model, needs 3D.

(Dark Minaz) #16

why have a 2d image of a 3d model. Pretty much down to that. Also showing off to the world what you can do. Like any other profession / hobby .. it doesn't count if nobody knows about it :stuck_out_tongue:

(Noodlecake) #17

I use it for a number of reasons.

1. I'm very inexperienced at 3D modelling and I haven't done any kind of course on it so it's a nice way to be able to show where I'm at, and to be able to share that with people who are more experienced in the hopes that they will give me technical or creative advice to improve.

2. It's a chance to connect with people with similar aesthetic sensibilities. The people who have liked my little tests are generally people who are trying things outside the realm of cartoon/comic book style or hyper realistic scenes based on real life objects.

3. Positive feedback feels nice.

I'm not worried about ruining my reputation uploading bad work because I don't plan on doing this for a living. I do want to make a living being an artist, but the 3D stuff is usually just to test ideas out that will inform physical pieces of art. If I ever got good enough at 3D modelling to pursue a career based on it then I would simply just delete more shoddy work and keep the best stuff up, but I'm nowhere near even being halfway good enough.

(Redy) #18

Well, depends on the musician, not every artist share their work. I personally understand the point of view/argument from this topic, and its a good opportunity to debate about the overall sharing culture that the internet has allowed us to.

For some part, Yes, for others, not exactly. Its really difficult to understand the motives behind a share nowadays if not specified by the artist.

(Chaitanyak) #19

@mitteilungsbedarf are you datamining us for research before you create your own image/model/video sharing site or app?

(Zurechtweiser) #20

I wouldn't be worried about that.