[WIP] Beast Bot Character

maya
3d

(Lorenzoderijcke) #1

Hi My name is Lorenzo de Rijcke, and I'm a junior 3D artist.
Sketchfab
after my last project https://forum.sketchfab.com/t/finished-azazels-tower/7404/34
I wanted to start a new one.

This will be a new Topic covering the WiP of my Beast bot character project.
I'm doing this project to learn more about character modelling workflow and methods. I learned the basics during my education but now I want to expand my knowledge.

The Project: Beast Bot

I want to create a 3D character model based on the following sketch that I made

this is a first version of the concept, just a rough idea of what direction that i'm aiming for

I made a pinterest board with reference which you can see here. I looked at old diving suits and space suits, as well as sci-fi space suits.

The Story:
for now this concept is based on the story of Beaty and the beast, The beast (or in the case the Bot) lives a solitary life, exiled from the world, and forgotten in time.

Until he met a little girl, who saved him and learned him how to play nice with other people again.

I will keep this post updated on my progress and as always feedback, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers :smile:

(Elbriga) #2

This is looking good :smile: I love how you think of a storyline for the character, I bet that'll turn out great :smile: can't wait to see what follows!

(Lorenzoderijcke) #3

Hi all here is a first update.

started modelling the body shape.

here it is :smile:

Beast Bot WIP 1 by TonedCube on Sketchfab

First version of the body shape.
I am a bit rusty with modelling of a body so any feedback is welcome.

(Lorenzoderijcke) #4

Hi all,

made some progress on the modelling of the Beast Bot.
modeled his head, and started blocking out his arm.

here you go:

and also re-uploaded the model to sketchfab.

I was working on the arm and it occured to me that i needed to think about how the arm would behave, like how does it bend and extend. so for reference I will look along the lines of the following picture

I like the use of hydrolic pistons, and will consider to put them in my Bot's arms.

Feedback and comments are welcome.

(Lorenzoderijcke) #5

Hi all,

Quick update post with the new model

Beast Bot WIP by TonedCube on Sketchfab

cheers :smile:

(Nomadking) #6

I like it so far @lorenzoderijcke - definately a good idea to think about the mechanics of how things would move when doing something like this. The details on the face are nice and beastly :wink:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #7

thank you yeah I sketched my own version of the beast based on beaty and the beast and then translated that sketch into a robot helmet. :smile: this is what I came up with

(Lorenzoderijcke) #8

Hi all :smile:
He is coming together, or just falling apart less :stuck_out_tongue:

Igor ! bring those legs from over there...

onto the legs next.

(Lorenzoderijcke) #9

Quick update,

Worked on the legs, reworked the hands, added cannisters.

will think of tubes and wires next, those which connect the cannisters with the body etc.

cheers :smile: stay tuned.

(Juang3d) #10

Looking great, lorenzo! The character and its story sound fantastic. I should try giving some of story/personality to my models.
Keep the good work!

(Lorenzoderijcke) #11

Thank you @juang3d, yeah I often find that thinking of a background story can help define and decide the general look or function of my model. And of course the personality of a character :smile: I must admit that I am glad that @bartv gave me this tip a while ago to think of a backstory to help defining your model :wink:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #12

Hi All,

update:

added tubes to the canisters and in the legs. added some hydraulics to the legs and gave some areas a bit more detail.

need to add some detail now linking the beast bot to the role of a protector like I described him in the background story. Any suggestions ? I was thinking about a sword or means to keep the girl safe.

Beast Bot V-5.

(Nomadking) #13

I like all the extra details you've added :wink: A sword could work, maybe a shield too? A classic 'protector' combo!

(Lorenzoderijcke) #14

Update:

Made a shield and weapon for my Beast Bot.

I went with a 1-handed axe and a square shield.
Going to add more detail, to match the weapons with the Robot, so that there is no mistake that the armaments are his.

modeled some destruction on the shield to show that the shield is made from scrap metal. The axe will have some electric wires around the shaft and have some illumation perhaps.

Ready to defend his Belle

He will be able to protect now @nomadking :wink:

(Nomadking) #15

I like the weapon combo - the 'scrappy' look of the shield is a nice touch :smile:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #16

hi there :smiley:

currently laying my uv's out.

cheers :wink:

(will keep you updated)

(Nomadking) #17

Everyone's favourite part of the modelling process... NOT! :wink:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #18

Hi

My UV's are finished,

going to think of a texture next.
I installed a trial of Substance painter to see what that will give me.
So Im planning to approach the texturing with a PBR Workflow.

Any suggestions for tutorials ?, I watched the Substance Painter Crash course video and Allegorithmic channel videos

Cheers :smile: more coming soon, either with classic or PBR textures :wink:

(Nomadking) #19

I haven't tried Substance Painter yet, but I've been told the Allegorithmic channel videos are indeed a great place to start :wink:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #20

Hi all :stuck_out_tongue:

Update:

been busy creating a texture in substance painter.

this is what I got so far.

(note this is my first pbr workflow project.)