[WIP] Creating the Lord of Corruption

(Zetheros) #1

Hey guys! I'm new to these forums, but I've been using sketchfab for some time now.

My name is Sheng Zhong, and I'm an aspiring character artist. Competition is quite tough, so I've been spending a lot of time on this one portfolio piece. Here's what I've gotten done so far:

Xathanoc's Head Lowpoly Ver.02 by zetheros on Sketchfab

Xathanoc Arm Preview by zetheros on Sketchfab

These pieces are part of a full character I plan to implement in UE4, fully animated, cloth simulated, and voiced :smile:

I'll be done with the torso pretty soon, and then move onto refining and detailing the wings, tail, and legs.

I mostly work in zbrush (dynamesh and polypaint), modo (UV mapping and animation), and photoshop (final touch-ups, concept work, making textures/tools).

(Krzysztof Zwolinski) #2

Beyond the assertion that this is Low Poly :wink: model looks great. I always love Artisan contests.

(Stephomi) #3

Really a big fan of the design, the zbrush shot is gorgeous!

You don't use any PBR tools for texturing (substance/3dcoat/quixel) ?
Just thinking that the integration into sketchfab or UE4 won't match the zbrush quality, but still awesome anyway :smile:.

(Zetheros) #4

Thanks @Stephomi!

I'm really eager to start using substance designer, and I'll probably use it to polish up and enhance areas once the entire character is UV mapped. 3dcoat is really useful, but since I'm working from highpoly -> lowpoly, zbrush's polypaint works just as well for painting directly on the model.

I haven't had the opportunity to use quixel, but I'll look into high-quality rendering software once the character is finalized, so I can make some snazzy eye-candy renders.

(Zetheros) #5

Another thing I'm looking forward to doing is the roughness/metallic maps. Also in UE4, I can implement glow masks for the gems, and have all the eyeballs on the wings track npc movement.

(Stephomi) #6

Looks promising!

We don't support glow mask though, (our current fake solution is to use bloom and play with the emissive channel).

(Zetheros) #7

@stephomi cool :smiley: good to know!

I'm working on the cloth now. There's an ingenious method for making worn cloth here: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...-Cloth-Tutorial

however I think it'll be overkill for this game character, although I'm
sure it would prove immensely useful if I'm doing hyper-realistic game
characters, or if I'm making a high quality zbrush sculpt for rendering.
Although... I might still use it. Hm...

For now, I've decimated the shawl/cloak(?) trim, so that zbrush doesn't lag when I use the curve strap snap brush to make it look like stylized torn linen. I'll see if I can finish the shoulders and upper torso section before I nod off.

I've also finally installed the etera UV scripts for modo, which is an absolute life-changer.

(Zetheros) #8

didn't get it done tonight... kept adding stuff :yum:

Edit: first it's Grassetti, now it's this guy?! Q_Q https://www.artstation.com/artist/maratars
jelly meter over 9000/no wonder I'm still living with my dad/why would anyone hire me/ utter despair

(Zetheros) #9

Ulgh. I've been working on this sculpt for so long, it doesn't even look
that good to me anymore. Ah well, the upper body is ready for retopo. A
few more adjustments afterwards + bake, and I'll be able to move onto
the wings, legs, tail... and then I'm done!

(Dark Minaz) #10

Wow, now that is a lot of details, love it. While it looks like almost to much for the eye to take in, its amazing to look at for a while and see all the little things you did put in, like the little head, the baby head on the head an even the tiny baby heads on the side of the head next to the other head.

I can't really see anything that pops out negatively (well the lanterns a bit but with some glow that would be there they are a welcome distraction i guess.).

Really looking forward to your finished model on sketchfab, so i can zoom in and out and look at all the little details.

(Zetheros) #11

Thanks @dark_minaz :smile:

An update on the retopology progress It's all by hand (I gave up on the automatic retopo idea), so it's been a few grueling days of tedium, but I'm nearly done. I also figured out how to do some simple rendering in modo!