I'm Frank Daniel, a 3D hobbyist from Norway, trying to get good enough at all this to make this a viable career option! Sometime before I retire, hopefully. <:
I was pointed in this direction after uploading a WIP character model, and figured I might as well write up a little about'im, and hopefully get a few pointers!
Although it's probably a bit late in the work process to start a WIP thread on this guy, I figured there's enough left to do, and enough mistakes made, to justify it - and maybe some of you can point out the more glaring anatomy and design mistakes I might've made along the way!
I'm currently trying to revise my workflow, as I spend far too much time on every character and model I do - and therefore find myself going a bit back and forth on projects these days, trying different approaches.
This guy started out as a personal project, but I ended up straying too far from my initial concepts. However, I sort of fancied the overall build and feel of the character, and decided to just keep at it.
My tools on this project are mainly Blender, zBrush, and 3DCoat
Initial pass in 3DCoat;
Current rough rig;
Due to the engine I'm rigging him for, I am limited to T-pose without any form for drivers or shapekeys to preserve muscle volumes- which makes rigging toned characters a slight headache, and requires constant revisioning of the model, notably around the shoulders, to make it somewhat passable at least in most common poses.
I'm planning to push on by giving him a mane of repeating polyplanes, as well as scattered tufts around joints, down the chest, and around the head. I also need to revise my UV's at some point, and eventually do a final pass on the texturing once all the fur-planes are in place. A bit of double work that could have been avoided with better planning, I guess.
I'm also not sure why I spent so much time on the sculpt, when I ended up hand-painting most of the shading - or how I'd go about making normalmaps for a handpainted character in any sensible fashion. Time to look into 3DCoat's normal-painting capabilities, I guess!