[WIP] Heroic Voxels- VR Fantasy

(Andya) #1

Throwing my hat in the ring. Twisting the theme of 'Fantasy' a bit. Considering VR is landing this year and Sketchfab has just got support for it I thought I'd make a piece with VR as a sub-theme. Threw together a quick concept in mypaint.

So the character and goggles will be 'real', and the weapons and enemies attacking him will be 'digital'. Should make shading a challenge. Environment will be 50/50 'real' and 'digital'. Not locked in on the character yet, could end up as an old lady or a middle-aged salaryman.

Feedback welcome :smile: Thanks to Bart and crew for organizing this competition.

(Kyan0s) #2

Good idea ! Cannot wait to see more ! :smiley:

(Bart) #3

Thanks for joining the Heroic Voxels contest and welcome on board :smile:

I have just given you one month of Sketchfab PRO - you can use it to add up to 20 annotations to your model.

Some more useful information to get you started:

• Read the contest updates - they will contain updates on contest progress, weekly tutorials and more.. I recommend you 'track' that topic so you'll receive notifications (instructions are in the post).
  • Frequently Asked Questions are in the (you guessed it) FAQ topic.

(Andya) #4

Thanks Bart!

Not being lazy, I have started modelling, just nothing worth showing yet. I'm going to be using Blender and its remesh modifier.

Here's a more nailed down concept, not finished concepting though...

(Andya) #5

Nailing characters down a bit more, first upload in two days hopefully.

(Elbriga) #6

The artworks look promising! Have you found time to voxel up yet? :wink:

(Nomadking) #7

Nice concept work :wink:

(Andya) #8

I have been squirrelling away on this, though it may not seem like it. Lost faith in the concept a bit so haven't been hitting it as hard as I should. I hope I'll have something uploaded for the deadline though. Not sure how to go about materials; especially emissive, of which there'll be plenty of... and definitely not sure how to do so in a way that'll display in the sketchfab viewer.

Here's a look at one of the goblins; I plan for two, and the main character, and some set dressing.

(Elbriga) #9

Looks pretty good @andya :smiley: Very nice character :smile: About the emission, have you checked out those tutorials?
http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/138605286284/publishing-voxel-designs-from-magicavoxel-to
http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/135254660559/tutorial-creating-a-3d-star-wars-scene-in-voxels

Can't wait to see more of your work :smile:

(Andya) #10

Got too much freelance coming in so I doubt I'll be able to finish this one in time. Sucks but gotta pay the bills! Good luck to everyone and looking forward to seeing some kickass entries :smile: