[WIP] Homemade Air-rifle

wip

(Tylaread) #1

Howdy folks, over the next few days/weeks/whateva I'm going to be recreating a homemade air-rifle that my friends uncle/dad/whateva made. I thought it looked cool, so now I'm gonna make a model of it that hopefully other people will think looks cool.

So let me know what you guys think!
Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated!

Imgur
Imgur

Homemade Air Rifle (HP/WIP) by tylaread on Sketchfab

The high-poly is mostly done, but I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to do the welding bits... Once I figure that out, I'll move on to texturing. Also, I want to bake the details down onto a much lower res image, but I don't have much experience with baking maps. So any tips with that would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for checking out my model!

-Tyler

(Bart) #2

Which software are you using for your project? I think that you could best work on the welds with some sculpting tools, and you may want to take a look at Substance Painter to get the nice dirty material look right. You can try it for free for 30 days, and we offer a 10% discount to Sketchfab members in our Perks Program.

(Tylaread) #3

Hey @bartv! I'm already a proud owner of Substance Painter! Got it on a steam sale awhile back. Afraid I'm not very experienced with it though. This might the project to learn on!

(Bart) #4

Aha, awesome :smile: Yeah I think SP is a good skill to have these days. Plus it has excellent integration with Sketchfab! Click to upload.

(Tylaread) #5

Update: Built Low Poly Cage and have begun doing bake tests. Fun fact, I've never baked anything before! So this update will contain mainly broken and weird normal maps. Alas, that is how we learn, and I will willingly share my failures with you in the hopes that it will help someone someday.

Low-Poly Cage
Imgur
Imgur

UVs
Imgur
Imgur

Wonky Normals!
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Wonky Normals with Diffuse Bake
Imgur
Imgur

As you can see, my normals... they do be wonky. Baking the diffuse as well has helped a lot to trouble shoot however. You can clearly see in that I would do well to do an 'exploded bake'. An exploded bake is when you separate all the bits and doodads out way far away from each other, so that the baking doesn't grab everything close to the object and slap it on there.
For example: the bottom of my scope has the barrel painted onto the bottom of it. This is because my baking envelope intersected with my barrel, because it was too close. By taking the high and low poly scopes and moving them further away from everything, we can get an accurate bake of it without the interference of other parts in the scene.

I'll update again once I've tried exploding this gun.
-Tyler

Fun fact: homemade air rifles can be very dangerous, and if built incorrectly or with damaged materials, can explode in your hands from the air pressure!

(Johnson Martin) #6

Nice! I have a few airguns. Never built one though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I've seen some interesting methods for creating welds. I'd try sculpting a welded strip then baking it to a normal map and using that on the edges.

Can't wait to see it textured. Substance Painter does a great job on things. :wink: