[WIP] Medieval Plaza

(Narifix) #1

Hello! Really excited about this contest.
For my submission I have a few ideas in mind, being a windmill, an inn, and some other various buildings that will be placed in a unified scene.
I'll probably start with the windmill. :slight_smile:

Let'sa go!

(Narifix) #2

I've done some work on the windmill, so far I have this...

Will work more on the color scheme, overall shape, and adding detail. And of course the most important part of the windmill that I've not even started yet.

(Narifix) #3

Added on the blades of the windmill. Next, I'll work on the windows and front door, add more details, and then try to polish everything.

(Narifix) #4

More progress, I've added the door and windows (and adjusted the lighting as well).
There's still more work I want done with this windmill, such as possibly adding more detail here and there and making it more modular to fit with the contest, as right now a lot of the objects are separated. I also want to work on my skills with 3D shaders and modeling.
Also, I'm open to any feedback if any! :smiley:

(Bart) #5

Cool! You're already making some FAST progress there :slight_smile:

I’ve just sent you instructions on how to claim your free Medieval Fantasy Cardboard viewer. Check your private messages here on the forum.

(Narifix) #6

Been a little while since my last update, but I've been working on an inn building to put somewhere next to the windmill. Very visually simple like the windmill so I'm planning on putting more objects around it to add to the overall style I'm going for.

(Narifix) #7

Alrighty, I've pretty much finished the second building. I guess I'll just call it an inn since that's what it looks like to me :slight_smile:

I really hope these buildings I've created so far aren't too simple for the contest. I tried to give them as much style as I could since they don't consist of many objects. Let me know what you think. I'll keep working on more :slight_smile:

(Narifix) #8

Update: The inn building in my previous post has been updated to a much cleaner and more modular version. The framework is thicker and the building overall is slightly more detailed. I have also made some low-poly terrain to go along with it all, with a fountain and some tree scenery as well. :smiley:

I still have lots of work to do and I plan on possibly changing some things here and there, for example the window and door models. I also have plans to make more buildings using the modular pieces, so hopefully the polygon count won't be a problem.

(Zorg741) #9

Really cool!

(Stefan Lengyel) #10

Yes looks amazing!

(Narifix) #11

Thanks much, guys! :smiley:

I'm currently working on remaking the window and door models as they look a little odd to me at the moment, as well as the stair steps and maybe the roof shingles. I'll probably also do some changes to the color scheme so it matches the style requested by the contest, and try optimize the meshes so they fit better under the polygon count. Right now the scene is made up of a little over 40k polygons (unacceptable!).

Again, thank you so much for all the support!

(Narifix) #12

Wow, it has been over a week since my last update! I've been really busy with other things, but I'm back now.
I made this water well to go in front of the inn. It's (probably) not really finished yet and it's really simple as I've been closely watching the polygon count.

I also optimized the inn building so now it's only made of around 10k polygons, and I made it a little smaller in size.

Next, I'll make more assets to dress up the scene and work on another building.

(Narifix) #13

I decided that the small pine trees scattered around didn't look very fitting to me, so I quickly made a big tree asset to go next to the building.
I also added some detail onto the roofs and right now I'm organizing the objects of the building to be more easily reusable, which I just did with the windmill. I guess I should have done that earlier, but oh well :stuck_out_tongue:
Afterwards I'll make more buildings and assets.

(Narifix) #14

Made another building as well as some barrel and crate assets to put in front of the first bigger building.

I forgot to mention that this will be a "windmill plaza" (changed title) with various buildings surrounding a fountain (as shown in picture). I'm still trying to figure out what to put in the center areas... maybe I'll build a wagon and some market stalls and other things to make the scene more lively.

(Narifix) #15

New market stalls in the center around the fountain

I'll probably revise the bricks on the floor around the fountain since I think they might look a little ugly right now. Or maybe I'll just add variety to their colors.

(Narifix) #16

The work-in-progress scene (at the moment there's an unfinished building sitting there but I'll update it once that's done)

(Narifix) #17

It's been a little while again since my last update, but the scene is nearly finished! I completed the fourth building, created some clouds above and more assets below in the plaza, and did some terrain reshaping here and there.
I still feel like the scene is somewhat empty in places so I'll probably make a few more assets.