Sketchfab Forum

[WIP] Rise - Voxel contest

wip
voxel
contest

(Sir Carma) #1

Hi guys,
Creating this topic to enter the voxel contest!

I'm not entirely sure I'll find the time to finish up a scene until the deadline but I'll try.
I work on Magica Voxel, and don't know how to use Blender, so my scene can only be 126x126x126 and without fancy lightning or anything but we'll see how it turns out.

I'm still thinking about the direction of the scene but I want to play with verticality and scale. Make the hero little compared to what he has to face.

I'll be back soon to post some WIP stuff!
Thanks Sketchfab for this great idea and good luck to all contestants!! :wink:
Sir_carma

Heroic Voxels Contest 2016: Contest Updates
(Jason Ivens) #2

Hey @Sir_carma, in my opinion you really should get blender or another program that can handle larger scenes to combine your assets.
If you take a look at my working progress, I have almost used your intire budget on one tree. It's just my opinion and I'm still very new to Voxel so I might be doing it all wrong lol 😄

(Alban) #3

Good to see you entering @Sir_carma! Can't wait to see your first wip

(Sir Carma) #4

Hey @jason_ivens ! Yeah, I know, I should really learn how to use Blender.
But I'm gonna stick to my usual process. I'm comfortable with 126^3 scenes.
I might just try to stich at least two 126^3 scenes to make it more epic. We'll see! :smile:

(Rickprokosch) #5

@Sir_carma I have been venturing into the Blender space and I think I may just leave it out. Your work looks so good in your process now that I can't say I'd want to change it unless you are unhappy with it.

Stitching two scenes is cool, I saw you posting about that with ephtracy on twitter and I may try that. I still need to get comfortable with 126^3!

Blender seems crazy complicated for me... I just want to start creating voxel art, feels like I'd spend lots of time tinkering in Blender and I don't have a huge amount of time for art. The appeal of doing some more complex lighting is what pulled me in but, meh, a person can get pretty creative in MV right now.

That's just my opinion. Some guys on here are crazy good at blender and can really add to their voxel work. Just don't think it's for me right now.

EDIT: This contest got a lot more intimidating now that you are here :smile:

(Jason Ivens) #6

I have to apologise, I should have looked at your profile before cominting. Your models are amazing and you don't need to change them in any way 😄
Although if you used blender just to paste multiple 123^3 scenes together and skipped the complicated lighting that would be epic 😄

(Sir Carma) #7

@rickprokosch I totally agree with all that you said! I have the exact same feeling.
Blender is so counter intuitive, the exact opposite of MV...
But yeah, sometimes I wish I could have more tools for the lighting, and bigger space available!

PS: ohh don't be :stuck_out_tongue: I'm having a really hard time finding a good scene to do. Hard to make something epic/heroic with only 126^3

(Sir Carma) #8

@jason_ivens don't apologise :blush: You're right that blender could help me make it more epic!

(Jason Ivens) #9

Thanks I was hopeing you would understand what I meant 😄
I don't like blender ether but I'm lucky enough to be able to use 3ds Max as I'm a student at the moment. Maybe you can try using another program under the 30 day trial period to combine your models for a larger scale scene.

(Sir Carma) #10

yeah, I have a Qubicle licence, I'll try on it!

(Ab Red) #11

Oh wow, we had a same concept :smile: , by watching your passion on voxel, i guess i already see who will win the contest :stuck_out_tongue:
by the way, i will wait for your WIP shoot soon :blush:

(Rickprokosch) #12

That's what I was thinking as well, trying another 3d program besides Blender to see if I can be a little simpler and easier for me to use. I know I could learn Blender but I just don't see a place in my workflow yet.... just more tinkering than I want when I'd rather be creating voxel scenes.

I totally understood what you meant as well, it's another way to expand our work!

(Rickprokosch) #13

@Sir_carma I've been debating over paying $60 for QB. I like the larger model options and the option to have different matrixes(?) for scenes. I didn't find the tools as easy for fun to use as MV but there seems to be quite a few more tools in QB right now. Maybe not more but more options like slices and such.

I'm really tying to just get good at creating interesting scenes and not worrying so much about my tools. I think the tools aren't as important as vision and skill in executing them, as you've demonstrated so well.

Also to your point about Blender, I think we are spoiled with the interface of MV. I really, really like it so it's going to be tough to use something that isn't as well laid out or minimalist. This is just me though, totally my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if Ephtracy added some lighting options in the future, there seems to be pretty active development going on with MV.

(Bart) #14

Hi @Sir_carma,

Thanks for joining the Heroic Voxels contest and welcome on board :smile:

I have just given you one month of Sketchfab PRO - you can use it to add up to 20 annotations to your model.

Some more useful information to get you started:

• Read the contest updates - they will contain updates on contest progress, weekly tutorials and more.. I recommend you 'track' that topic so you'll receive notifications (instructions are in the post).
  • Frequently Asked Questions are in the (you guessed it) FAQ topic.

(Bart) #15

Regarding using Blender: if all you want to do is import and combine multiple scenes then that shouldn't be too hard. I could even write a quick tutorial on that topic. (Or maybe @elbriga might care to help here? :wink:

(Elbriga) #16

@bartv I'm always really happy to help :smile: I could definently make a tutorial on that if it can be of some use ^^

Imo getting into blender a little is a no-brainer, seeing the way it's evolving! The interface is actually really good once you understand it, there's no countless windows popping up like in some programs :stuck_out_tongue: and it'll get better :wink:

Really happy to see you participate @Sir_carma ! Seeing all the WIPs on the forum, the competition is going to be rough! Many many great and promising work already :smile:

(Rickprokosch) #17

@elbriga The Blender interface did make much more sense after I spent a few hours with some tutorial videos. It was overwhelming just having everything right there in front of you. I can see the appeal because that's just like MV, it's all right there and I really like that.

(Vincentthestud) #18

@Sir_carma im sorry you entered
. now we all lose. Just kidding lol :smile:

(Sir Carma) #19

oh man, don't say that, everything I try for that contest looks like shit :confused: Cant manage to make anything good :frowning:

(Vincentthestud) #20

hmmm.. how come i don't believe you??? http://80.lv/articles/sir-carma-magica-voxel-was-like-having-infinite-legos-in-my-computer/

Lol! joking. i'm super glad that people like you can participate in stuff like this.:smile: