Sketchfab Forum

WIP - The Dragon

(Jessevannormanstudios) #1

Hi, I'm Jesse Van Norman, and I am super excited. It is in my dreams to have a VR headset, so I am going to work very hard on this. If I win anything I would hope to make a VR game in unreal. Thank you so much for this opportunity. Ill get to work.

Also, does it matter what program we use to model, I am confused.

Sincerely
Jesse

(Jessevannormanstudios) #2

I started working on a dragon, but it is taking awhile and I don't know what I am doing. :smile:This will be a good learning experience, and I know that I will make something fun and good in the end. So that's my dragon so far.:grinning:

(Redmdlee) #3

I think any 3D modeling software would do as long as you follow the technical aspects, follow the unit of measurement, follow a PBR workflow (not 100% sure what that is). xD

If you have problems modeling your dragon I'd suggest model the dragon for rigging then do the pose later ( well that's my method, you might find that to be easier) ^^

I am doing dragon my self and its freaking worth it once you're able to pose it (first time modeling a dragon as well)

Good Luck! :slight_smile:

(Bart) #4

I’ve just sent you instructions on how to claim your free Medieval Fantasy Cardboard viewer. Check your private messages here on the forum. Good luck!! :slight_smile:

(Jessevannormanstudios) #5

Hi Bart, thanks so much, but I already have one. I'll leave the cardboard viewer for someone that wants it more than me. But I'll go for the the Oculus VR :grinning:

Thanks
-Jesse

(Jessevannormanstudios) #6

Thanks, only problem is I can't rig. I'm self taught, and I have never found a good video on how to do that. :joy: My my personal saying is work to the end no matter how bad it is, it will always turn out great.

(Bart) #7

That's the spirit :slight_smile: :+1:

(Redmdlee) #8

This was the video I used back when I was still using maya (I switched to blender and haven't regret it yet). Its relatively easy to follow plus low poly usual needs no skining at all. You might find it useful, if not for the contest maybe in the future :smiley:

Nothings harder than learning stuff by yourself so props to you sir ^^

(Jessevannormanstudios) #9

Thank you! I'll take a look at the video. This is just a fun learning experience for me, so thanks for your support​:smile:

(Jessevannormanstudios) #10

Hi, you seem pretty smart :smile:
Any suggestions on how to fill in the wings? As you can see I only have the bones, and there is no wing flaps.

(Redmdlee) #11

For me I made sure I have a proper topology for the wings and were I planned to attach it to the body then I connected the vertices and filled the faces. I forgot which specific tools to use in maya but that's the idea but From what I recall you can extrude the vertices then use merge vertex tool to attach the certices to the body and use fill hole or bridge the edges. :smiley:

I'll put the unedited here so you can see it more clearly

Good Luck xD

(Jessevannormanstudios) #12

Yes, I think I did what you did, but I extruded it in a way where one side is black/unshaded.

(Redmdlee) #13

Oh yeah I forgot that maya does that, I am haven't dealt much on that in maya but in blender there's a function called backface culling which allows you to treat either side of the faces with different shaders. I think maya has something like that as well if my memory serves me right xD

(Jessevannormanstudios) #14

Ok thanks,
by the way, the video you sent me was AMAZING! It helped so much. Thank you. :grinning:

(Redmdlee) #15

No Problem ^^ happy to help

Best luck to all of us xD

(Jessevannormanstudios) #16

Here's the finished dragon. This upload is simply a test, and not the final. My only problem is that the eyes do not glow. Could someone help? I'm not very good a rendering ( I know nothing ). I have a surface shader applied for the glowing eyes, but it will not show in Sketchfab.

(Redmdlee) #17

Wow this looks amazing,
If you want glowing eyes try doing emisive maps, not sure how it works on maya but I think thats what sketchfab supports ^^

(Jessevannormanstudios) #18

Thanks! I'll look at that.

(Jessevannormanstudios) #19

Here are some more assets. I still need to figure out what to do with them.

(Jessevannormanstudios) #20

I'm done.