Working with Physically Based Rendering

(Mauricesvay) #1

Hi guys,

as you may know, we are working on bringing Physically Based Rendering (PBR) to Sketchfab. PBR is becoming the industry standard for realtime rendering because it's usually easier to work with and more accurate. Last summer, we presented a demo at Siggraph and we've made good progress on the R&D since then.

To make sure we get this right, we are looking for artists who already know PBR to share their experience.

If you are one of them, it would be great if you could tell us about:

• what you like or don't like with PBR
  • how it changed your work
  • how and why did you learn to texture for PBR
  • what software you use
  • what is your workflow
  • what kind of maps do you use (albedo or diffuse or other? specular or metalness?) and how you create them
  • what are your favorite resources for environments and materials
  • how do you call non PBR shading? (adhoc? default? classic? other?)
  • anything else you'd like to share about PBR, including showing your artwork smile

Lightmaps + pbr... is there a way?
(Stromberg90) #2

what you like or don't like with PBR: Nothing I really dislike about PBR I think it's better in every way.
how it changed your work: not much, after I figured out the does and dont's it's mostly the same as before.
how and why did you learn to texture for PBR: I learned it because to further my knowledge and it's going to be the norm.
what software you use: For texturing I use substance painter.
what kind of maps do you use: Albedo, Metalness, Roughness, Normal and sometimes emissive.
how do you call non PBR shading?: Non PBR wink
My work is at Strombergart only the top one is PBR.

(Felixenfeu) #3

what you like or don't like with PBR I like pretty much everything about it.
how it changed your work Few more maps but overall made things easier.
how and why did you learn to texture for PBR Because it looks like it's going to be the norm, and i really wanted the new features to push my art further.
what software you use To work : 3ds Max, Zbrush, Photoshop. With PBR : Marmoset, Unity 4 (Skyshop) and Unity 5, Unreal.
what is your workflow HP mesh > LP mesh > Texture (Realtime preview in Marmoset) > Engine
what kind of maps do you use (albedo or diffuse or other? specular or metalness?) and how you create them Mostly, Albedo, Occlusion Map, Specular, Gloss, Normal Maps, Backscatter map, Flow Map (Hairs and stuff) & Displacement sometime. I use Photoshop for most of the texturing.
how do you call non PBR shading? (adhoc? default? classic? other?) Classic or Non-PBR.
anything else you'd like to share about PBR, including showing your artwork
Some stuff i did using PBR :
General Tytugg (High-Poly Character in marmoset)
Monique (Low-Poly Character in marmoset)
Emery (Low-Poly Character in marmoset)

(Kjg) #4
**what you like or don't like with PBR**

What I like about PBR is a nearly non-exhaustive list. I like how it simply looks more realistic "out of the box", it's easy to work with and you have to worry a lot less about the environment you use your materials in.
If I can come up with something I don't like I will edit my post, at the moment I can't think of anything.

**how it changed your work**

It made it more fun and less tedious. I love looking at even simple PBR materials (especially metallic).
PBR took away the need to adjust the materials greatly when putting the same model in two different environments.
It also changed how I understood how certain materials actually work in the real world, which is a nice bonus.

**how and why did you learn to texture for PBR**

Why:
- Because it looks beautiful
- Because Substance Designer was on Steam Sale
- Because leading Game Engines now support it (it's the next industry standard)

How:
- Google
- previous experience with "legacy" materials adapted to PBR
- "Allegorithmic PBR Guide"
- Allegorithmic forums and Substance Designer's builtin materials (you open a cool looking material or effect and you can learn how it's done)

**what software you use**
  • Substance Designer & Painter
  • Photoshop / Sketchbook Pro
  • zBrush
  • Maya
  • (Unreal Engine 4 , Unity3D 4 (no PBR yet frowning )
**what is your workflow**
  • definitely Substance Designer. I don't work for allegorithmic but I am absolutely a fan of their products, their support and how it changed my workflow into modular, parametric texturing.
    (Maya [Model + UV] -> Substance Designer [Bakes & Base Materials] -> Substance Painter [Fixing Seams and doing details] -> Export)
**what kind of maps do you use (albedo or diffuse or other? specular or metalness?) and how you create them**
  • I use the Metallic Workflow (Albedo - Metalness - Roughness , Normal , Glow)
  • I create them either in Photoshop if it's a simple / quick texture or Substance Designer if I want to play around and see direct results
**what are your favorite resources for environments and materials**
**how do you call non PBR shading? (adhoc? default? classic? other?)**
  • legacy. wink
**anything else you'd like to share about PBR, including showing your artwork smile**

I can't wait till Unity3D and Sketchfab support it! w Go Go Go, Sketchfab!

(Bart) split this topic #5

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lightmaps + pbr... is there a way?

(Mauricesvay) #6

From the first response, it seems that artists who switch to PBR love PBR smile . Keep those feedbacks coming!

(Bart) split this topic #7

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lightmaps + pbr... is there a way?

(Ashuradx) #8

what you like or don't like with PBR Oh I absolutely LOVE PBR, after getting used to the basics it seems much more straightforward and actually easier to work with than old classic/legacy Materials
how it changed your work I can't exactly say wether the PBR workflow or Substance Designer & Painter are responsible for the increase of speed I gained while texturing
how and why did you learn to texture for PBR I bought the Substance Indie Bundle for a low price last summer and this is what got me interested in PBR, then I began checking out different tutorials and talking with other Artists about PBR
what software you use Allegorithmics Substance - both - Painter and Designer (great software btw : Allegorithmic YOU ROCK)
what is your workflow So far : Blockout to Sub-D mesh in 3ds max or Blockout in 3ds Max to Mudbox -> Retopo and UV Unwrapping in 3ds max -> Baking in Substance Designer -> depending on the type of mesh I stay inside of Substance Designer or move on to Substance Painter after laying down a solid base
what kind of maps do you use Albedo, Roughness, Metalness, Normal, Ambient Occlusion + Emissive, height, whatever if required
what are your favorite resources for environments and materials http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn < this, but mostly the Polycount community helped me udnerstand this stuff through their valuable input. I also recommend checking out this : https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide (still on my to-do list aswell)
how do you call non PBR shading? I'd say Classic/Traditional or maybe Legacy shading ?
anything else you'd like to share about PBR the first model I textured using the PBR workflow : http://imgur.com/a/vadz2 and there's more to come